Writing for Business – Assignment 2

Share:
Writing for Business – Assignment 2

1.) - Something else I want to convey to you, Miss Dell, is my supervisor’s apologies for
trying to pull your leg before you lost interest in the business deal.
- What do you mean “pulling my leg”? I don’t remember anybody pulling my leg! Also, please stop addressing me as Miss Dell. I’m married.
- Terribly sorry! I meant you got angry when my manager tried to throw a little joke which did not prove to your satisfaction. We hope that you’ll accept to reschedule a meeting to close the deal.
- No, I decided to invest somewhere else.
Problem of the Situation: Too much of wrong hyperbole.


- Mrs. Dell, my supervisor would like to express his apologies for his uncalled for and distasteful joke. Our company, together with my supervisor, hopes you will accept to reschedule a meeting to close the business negotiation.


2.)- We have a strong applicant who is very good at programming and robotics.
  • Where is he from?
  • India.
  • Well, I am not surprised.
  • Shall I call him in?
  • Yes, please. I cannot believe we have wasted $5000 so far to get this position filled. It is all the HR and Marketing agents’ fault.
Problem of the Situation: Credibility; Ruining the HR and Marketing Agents, therefore ruining the image of the company.


- To the HR: I heard that there was an applicant who is good at programming and robotics, but was rejected by your department, I believe there is a clear explanation to your judgment and that I would like to know.
- To the Applicant: I heard you applied in our company, but was rejected by our HR department, I would like to meet with you to discuss what had been the problem with your application.


3.)Hello, I want to complain about the room service. This is the first time I receive such
poor service in this five-star hotel.
  • May I take your name, please?
  • Emily Barker.
  • Miss or Mrs.?
  • Mrs. Barker.
  • OK, Mrs. Barker. Could you please tell me what went wrong?
  • They have brought me unwashed towels.
  • Really? Who did that?
  • Yes. He said his name is Tim.
  • This is a new laundry servant who has made this mistake several times so far. This is what happens when companies in our country bring workforce from third-world countries. I will make sure he is dismissed first thing in the morning.
  • Excuse me! I cannot accept this excuse and am even more disappointed to hear such remarks from you.
Problem of the Situation: Too much negative.


- Hello, I want to complain about the room service. This is the first time I receive such poor service in this five-star hotel.
- May I take your name, ma'am?
- Emily Barker.
- Can you tell me what went wrong, ma'am?
- They have brought me unwashed towels.
- I am sorry to hear about this mistake Ma'am Emily. We don't have any intention to cause inconvenience. We will be looking at the problem with our laundry department Ma'am to avoid this shameful situation again. I will be sending new towels to your room Ma'am in five minutes. Will that be fine Ma'am?
- Sure, thank you.
- Is there anything else I could help you with Ma'am?
- Nothing more. Thank you.


4.)We will file a legal case against you if you don’t admit that you have leaked important information to our competitor.
Problem of the Situation: Poor construction; lack authority and formality; threat instead of decision


- The company has decided to file a corporate espionage suit against you after considering that you have leaked vital information to our competitor.


5.) You managed to ruin the company’s reputation with your lack of dedication.
Problem of the Situation:Lack strength;


- We would like to inform you that your lack of dedication ruined the company's reputation.


6.)You have to either attend the meeting or report on the press conference today.
Problem of the Situation: Lack of authority and decision.


- The management is sending you to the press conference today. This is an immediate task assigned to you.


7.)Unfortunately, the manager can’t take your calls today because he is busy.
Problem of the Situation:Impoliteness


- This is the manager's office, thank you for calling. However, I am sad to inform you that the manager is attending an important decision at the moment. Do you want to drop a message for him?